Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Oscar Update

As you may have read earlier, I've been killing myself trying to see all the Oscar nominated movies this month. Since last Friday, I have seen Click (love Adam Sandler!), Little Children (Jackie Earl Haley was the best part of the movie, which was really good), Venus (Peter O'Toole deserves some love for this fabulous performance!), Babel (overrated, in my opinion, though very good), The Devil Wears Prada (Meryl was great, but couldn't save the movie) and The Black Dahlia (which should have been nominated for costumes, as well as cinematography).

Overall, most of the movies I've seen have been exceptional in some way. The problem with seeing a number of exceptional movies, especially in a row, is that the least exceptional pale in comparison to the most exceptional. For instance, "Click" was a wonderful movie. But comparing it to "Notes On a Scandal" is unfair. Helen Mirren gave a wonderful, nuanced performance in "The Queen". But Judi Dench in "Notes On a Scandal" was so much more vibrant! I suppose it's all apples and oranges in Oscar world in any given year. I'm just glad for the excuse to see so many wonderful films.

On a sad note, I learned that the Oscar party is off. The hoopla of throwing the shindig, it seems, has proved too much for our dear Sabrina Jeffries. I can't blame her for it - you don't see me volunteering! But I will miss the competition. Perhaps I will post who I think will win in each category, then you can ridicule me when I only get 5 right!

Does anyone else even watch the Oscars, or am I the only one?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM , Blogger Sonja Foust said...

I'll be watching them, but can't say that I'll see every movie first. I have some hard and fast movie rules that I won't even break for the sake of Oscars, like "no war movies."

 
At 6:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been watching the Oscars since I was about four! And I always watched them with (don't laugh) three stuffed animals (koala bears), who have now taken on a life of their own. Every year, they have to come out and watch the Oscars. Or, as they are known in my house, THE CHUBBIES.

The Chubbies often have odd, yet wonderful, Oscar picks. Last year they thought "Breakfast on Pluto" should have won every category possible. I agree.

The Chubbies, being Oscar aficionados from way back, have now made their pick for best actress. They are saying Helen Mirren is the leader at the moment, with two Chubs going to Helen and one Chub going to Judi Dench. No Chubs for any other actresses...to them this is a two-way race only. And one to keep your eyes on.

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger Caren Crane said...

The Chubbies sound like quite an opinionated group! It's nice that they are not too swayed by public opinion. I loved "Breakfast On Pluto" myself, but it's not the sort of movie to get any Oscar love--despite the tragedy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home