Friday, January 26, 2007

Through the Cookies and Onward!

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a Girl Scout leader and have been for the past 9 years. That's what happens when you are a hyper-volunteer and you have two daughters. Anyone even tangentially associated with Girl Scouts knows that no year is complete without the requisite Girl Scout cookie sale! The cookies and I have a love-hate relationship. I love them, they love me, and they apparently love my thighs. Point being, cookie time comes right after the holidays in my neck of the woods. January is a tough time to drum up cookie orders, since most people made New Year's resolutions (not goals, like mine) and vowed never to eat another cookie. The cookie sale is a wonderful thing, in that it finances trips and things the girls want to do. But the whole slogging around in the cold, rain and sleet makes it unattractive to the 12 - 14 year-olds. And us moms, too!

Happily, the initial orders were due today. Ours have been turned in, so it's onward to larger adventures, like making progress on my latest book. I have wrestled with three different versions of the book I want to write for one of the ladies in Cross Springs, Connie Burns. Connie is the best friend of Linda in Kick Start and also of Katie in Cross Talk. Those who have read both books are clamoring for Connie's story. The problem is, Connie is quite complex. I have to make sure the story shows the depth of her character and gives her an opportunity to grow and change. I think I know how the story needs to pan out, but it's still in the "marination" stage. Katie's book took a while to marinate, but the payoff was definitely worth it. I am confident the payoff for Connie's book will be worth the effort, as well.

I'm off to poke through the marinade and see how things are turning out. Meanwhile, be nice to the Girls Scouts in your area and order some cookies!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Blogger Sonja Foust said...

I ordered some Thin Mints in a moment of weakness. (Yes, I'd already made the No More Cookies Ever resolution.) I can't wait for them to get here so I can CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT!

 
At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey from Fancy Patch, NC! I ordered some g.s. cookies from a passel of lil' birdies who came knockin at my front door. I reckon I shoulda odered from y'all but you know how I am: a lil' slow on the re-uptake these days, hehe. Anyone who says the "pause" is uneventful should be hurt. Anyways, yer writins are pretty funny and I do hope you slow the vol. things down a notch sose you'll have more time for writing them fancy words. Keep it up - woo hoo!

 
At 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please disregard the previous comments. That particular patient sneaked out of her room and onto the nurse's computer this morning while we were busy medicating the other patients. We will take measures to see that this does not happen again.
Apologies, The Staff at Broughton.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home