Saturday, May 12, 2007

Obsessing and Moving On

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Dame Barbara Cartland

I'll admit I get obsessed about any number of things. It never lasts long, but while it does it is all-consuming. I remember a fling I had with Barbara Cartland books when I was 14. I went to the library and got armloads of them. Those heroines with heart-shaped faces and huge eyes. The one, sweet kiss I waited a whole book for! But, after reading 50 or 60, I wanted something else. I moved on.

I had it bad one year for Tagalongs - the Girl Scout cookies filled with luscious peanut butter on a vanilla cookie, smothered in chocolate. I bought for myself (not to share with family) at least 3 boxes. I ate them all. By myself. Toward the end, they had no flavor. I burned out on them. I moved on.

I do it most often with great songs. I have many CDs to which I listen endlessly, looping and relooping a single song, a group of songs, or the whole CD. I have burned out on many great CDs. I have learned to pace myself a bit, not to play it when it no longer gives me that seat-bouncing giddy rush when I hear the opening bars. Because when the thrill is gone, I'll move on.

I like to think I have learned, at least a little, not to be so obsessive. It's hard on relationships, for one thing. My husband and I have been married for 14-1/2 years and dated for 4-1/2 years before that. Nineteen years is a lot of years. It took some doing to get us past the no-longer-obsessed stage and into a more mature relationship. It was worth it. If I can manage to do the same with books and cookies and CDs and movies and any number of other things, I may grow up yet!

How about you? Do you obsess or are you one of those annoying, balanced people? If you are a reformed obsessive, what's your secret? Please let me hear I'm not alone!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:34 PM , Blogger Sonja Foust said...

I do the music obsession. The food obsession is my husband's thing though. He can eat the same thing every day for weeks if he likes it. Eugh.

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Suse said...

I have obsessions for singers and actors that wax and wane, but one that just will NOT go away. Yes, I speak of my shame: My name is Suse and I'm a Bonoholic. I've obsessed over Bono since October 7, 1980. Yes, I know that's sad. And lame. But what's a girl to do??? I can't help myself! You're looking downright normal now, eh Caren?

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Caren Crane said...

What happened on October 7, 1980, Suse? Did you buy 'Boy' or something? Hear 'New Year's Day' on the radio in Rodanthe? Inquiring minds want to know!

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Suse said...

I heard "Ah Cat Dubh," that day at a friend's house. And, well, when I heard Bono sing "Shhhheeee cat" it was all over. What can I say? I was 13 and ripe for an obsession! Ran out and bought "Boy," subscribed to "Propaganda," joined Greenpeace, you know the usual things 13 year olds do. I just didn't know I'd subscribed to the never ending obsession! In my defense, it's really just the same as having a hobby...right?

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Caren Crane said...

Um, I'm not sure it's quite the same as having a hobby, Suse. I mean, it's been a few years since you were 13. I don't remember who I even liked when I was thirteen - besides Steely Dan and Heart, that is. I still adore Steely Dan. And Ann and Nancy had some great songs. Hm. I may need to add some old school to my iPod!

 
At 3:19 PM , Blogger Anna Campbell said...

Caren, I'm afraid I'm just as teenage as you. I'm currently obsessing over a gorgeous English actor called Richard Armitage who is dark and brooding and just to die for. I think if you're an obsessive type, you stay an obsessive type, even when you get old and slow like me! Mmm, now where is that ecard a friend sent me of RA? Must look at it....

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Caren Crane said...

Oh, I love Richard Armitage (the actor, not the deputy Sec of State *g*)! You know I'm still waiting to see a certain miniseries that a certain friend of mine has starring a certain man (who is an actor and not the deputy Sec of State).

I wouldn't mind the obsessing so much, except that I burn out on them. Save up, Anna, and don't burn out on Richard!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home